January Medical Brigade

She's itching all over
Got her first pair of reading glasses

We had our first medical brigade of the year with AHMEN at Belaire, Jutiapa on January 26 - February 3.  After making four trips to transport supplies from La Ceiba to Belaire (one hour each way) with a rented truck, the team was ready to see patients.

A young Honduran doctor, Delmer Montoya, served with our medical brigade this year.  Following are some of his pictures and excerpts of his experience.
Dr. Delmer Montoya
Child with malnutrition
"There is a lot of children with malnutrition and their complications.  Was so sad to see children 6 years old who look like they has 3. I saw some critical cases (3) on my first day of clinics. I think that the ignorance the biggest problem.  For example you can give them medicine against parasites and you can tell them that they have to drink boiled or chlorinated water, but they dont do it, all the effort will no have any effect.  And as you know thats a cycle."




Child with fungus
"The main illness in here is FUNGUS, 95% of people has it in combination with other pathologys."



Man with destroyed septum
"Yesterday we saw some different kinds of diseases, for example came an old man with problems in his nose, the septum was destroyed, perhaps could be cancer."
"We saw a woman with ectopic pregnancy, childrens with impetigo, malnutrition, parasites, a lot of people with fungus, a girl with a big burn over the whole torax and neck.  I saw 2 womans hitted, I think could be domestic violence.  We saw too a girl with a mass, perhaps it could be a lynphoma."







People live in stick & mud houses



"During one afternoon we went to Berlin, a community over the mountains forgotten for everybody. Malnutrition is without any doubt the biggest problem there.  Almost all the children are in a severe condition."


_________________

I think I'll start eating the bag
 The organization STOP HUNGER NOW supplied 114 boxes of a mixture of dried rice and soy beans for the communities mentioned above.  Each box contained 16 packages each of which provides a completely balanced meal for 6 children.

Ready for distribution